Mar 18, 2011

One year

A year ago Randal proposed.  I honestly can't believe it has been this long.  This time last year I knew Randal had the ring and I couldn't wait to see how he would propose.  He invited me to go rock climbing earlier in the week and I thought for sure he would propose then, so I hiked up Rock Canyon excited beyond words, and I saw him and his friends and a photographer.  It was happening!  Turns out, it wasn't.  It was just some random kid.  I was so disappointed.  

A few days later I was leaving to visit my friend in Hawaii and I didn't want to wait for another week.  Randal took me to the airport early in the day because my dad insisted I was there a few hours before my flight.  As soon as I left Randal at security my dad called to chat.  I remember hearing his cell phone beep with a new text message a few times as we chatted, but I didn't think anything of it.  The gate agent announced that we could begin boarding soon so I stood in line and as I gave my ticket to the gate agent, someone tapped me on the shoulder.  I thought it was another passenger, so I turned around to see Randal, trembling, on one knee, asking me to marry him.  I was so confused and I didn't say anything, my body just started shaking. haha.  I wish I could have been a fly on the wall.  The gate agent gave Randal her intercom radio and said, "maybe you should ask her again".  He asked over the intercom and everyone started clapping.  Not even a minute after the ring was on my finger, Randal took off and told me he was flying to Las Vegas.  Clearly a lie, but he just needed a ticket to get past security.  Turns out, Randal had been creeping on me in a shop next to my gate trying to work up the courage to come over, texting my dad and everyone he knows the entire time.

I love thinking about how nervous Randal was then, compared to my confident goofy husband now.

Exactly where Randal proposed.  When I got back from my trip, I made a man take my picture.

The ring.  Taken as soon as I sat down on the plane.


 

2 comments:

  1. I kind of got teary reading that post. Ok....I did....I love, love and I love seeing people succeed in their relationships : ) Keep it up : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhhhhhhhhhhh, I didn't know the story, thanks for sharing. It is quite romantic and special!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?