Feb 2, 2012

Pinterest challenge

I'm often pinning things away about something I want to cook or bake or create.  Sometimes I actually make them, and sometimes I don't, but I realized that I need to document my efforts and experiences.  Even if no one else looks at it, it is at least exciting for me to review what I have done.

So I'll start with a recipe I found (and later pinned, but it still counts) for Chuy's Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Enchiladas.  If you have never been, or heard of Chuys, you are missing out.  Our friends in Dallas told us it was one of their very favorite places to go and at the end of the summer we finally went.  I can see why they love it so much.  It's incredible.

I was able to find the recipe here after a quick google search and I decided to make it for Randal's 26th (!!) birthday back in November.  He decided that we should rename it "Randal's favorite dinner".  It is really simple to make and I have made it several times since.  I highly recommend making it for dinner.




Randal's Favorite Dinner 
aka Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Enchiladas

corn tortillas
3 frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts 
1/2 c chicken broth
1/4 c water
1/4 T each salt and pepper
2 cans (they are small) roasted green chilies
3 large tomatillos
a bundle of cilantro
2 minced cerrano (I use jalapeño too sometimes) peppers
3 T lime juice
1 1/4 lb American cheese
additional mixed shredded cheese for topping
In a saucepan, add chicken broth, water and spices and place over a medium to high flame. Using a food processor, puree roasted green chilies, tomatillos, cilantro, serranos and lime juice.
Add to saucepan, stirring in well. Bring mixture to a slow boil. Lower flame and slowly add American cheese, whipping as needed to remove clumps and make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom. When the cheese is melted and mixed, remove from heat. Yields 1 Quart.
While I am making the sauce I am also cooking my chicken.  I thaw it, cook it on the stove then shred it and add some spices usually like Tony Chachere's creole seasoning.  

To make enchiladas, fill a tortilla with 2 ounces of chicken. Roll up and place in a baking pan.  I typically put mine in my large pyrex pan and fill it with enough tortillas until it's stuffed. Top with sauce and cheese and put in a warm oven (like 200 degrees) for 4 minutes (give or take), until cheese is melted.






2 comments:

What do you think?